Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2008 Review: What I Wrote – The Apocalyptists




The end of the world.
Like so many, I am somewhat fascinated by the inherent drama and the various possibilities in world-changing and world-ending events. This fascination is coalescing into a fictional group I will call the Apocalyptists.

In my imagination, the Apocalyptists are a group borne out of ideas of human fatalism, Freud’s death drive, and a few other ideological positions. There are many variations of Apocalyptists over human history, and, in the worlds I’m writing about, the Apocalyptists organize formally to seek out the end of humanity (as the ultimate, most desirable, and most just conclusion for the human race).

Some Apocalyptists are disenchanted secular humanists, some are religious fanatics, some are extreme environmentalists. There are many flavors, and over the decades they’ve been the source of lots of good schemes to bring about Armageddon.

I had a great time researching this stuff. Freud's death drive came up. I re-examined Samuel Delany and his masterpiece, Dhalgren. I looked at the Book of Revelation. The singularity. A little bit on pralay in Hinduism. I also threw in some suicide cults for good measure...

And even though I didn’t get Teena Keeper quite right in 2008, I’ve got a very good footing for these Apocalyptist folk. So much so, that in 2009, I’m going to pursue an Apocalyptist Episode called Bring the Beat Back.

Teena’s not going to be in this one (we’re taking a break from each other), but Bring the Beat Back is going to help set the stage for a more compelling exploration of Teena’s world.

And sometimes, that’s how these things have to go.

Apocalypse (Greek: Ἀποκάλυψις -translit. apoca'lipsis, meaning literally: the lifting of the veil), is a term applied to the disclosure to certain privileged persons of something hidden from the majority of humankind. Today the term is often used to mean "End of planet Earth", which may be a shortening of the phrase apokalupsis eschaton which literally means "revelation at the end of the æon, or age".

Eschatology (from the Greek ἔσχατος, Eschatos meaning "last" and -logy meaning "the study of") is a part of theology and philosophy concerned with the final events in the history of the world, or the ultimate destiny of humanity, commonly referred to as the end of the world.

No comments: