Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Apollo Salon Series 2009

So I have been given the opportunity to host the Apollo Salon Series. I am SOOOOOO excited, and it has been a great experience so far.

Last Saturday we kicked-off the Series with a really cool preview event. Jessica Care Moore, Dana Leong, and Melvin Van Peebles were in the house and gave the audience a sneak peek into their Salon Series projects. Greg Tate led a panel discussion with the artists, on working outside the mainstream and other interesting topics.

IT WAS FASCNIATING.

And I’m not just saying that because I work at the Apollo. This was a multifaceted, multicultural, multigenerational group of artists. And to have them on the stage together, sharing about their process, about American culture, and the arts---it was just a great moment to be a part of.

Hip Hop Theater pioneer, Will Power is also presenting a project in the Salon Series. He couldn’t make it to the kick-off event. But his project, the Upper Room plays this weekend. And I’m very excited about what he’s brought to share.
Anyways, that’s what’s keeping me busy these days. That and a thousand other things.

Later!!

1 comment:

Jamar Herrod said...

Derek,

I checked out the links to these respective artist and I must say they are really impressive. VanPeebles is definitely legendary with all he has done and then has a foundation too. Commendable. How is it working at the Apollo?