Saturday, January 8, 2011

2010 Writing Goals Review






Wow wow wow. It's 2011. January. This is the time when I reflect on my progress over the last 12 months as an up-and-coming writer. Here's what I was shooting for in 2009, and 2008.


So as I do every year, today I went to look at my 2010 goals and oops...I never blogged them! Sorry folks.

However, I did set some pretty concrete goals 12 months ago which I posted over on my fractured atlas artist fund site. In a nutshell, I set out to
1. get a workshop production of my play, The Lattice Crashes.

2. produce and develop The Fire This Time Festival. and

3. develop and produce The Seeing is Believing program with Under the Spell Productions.

All three of the goals above had to do with developing public performances/programs. And I'm happy to say I moved forward with all three over the past 12 months. The Lattice Crashes went up in December 2010. The Fire This Time Festival has built steady momentum and everyone is excited about its second season which starts next week. Finally, Under the Spell held a very thought-provoking forum to kick-off the Seeing is Believing Cycle in September. Naturally there is plenty of room for improvement on all of this, but I"m going to go ahead and give myself a pat on the back for what has been a whirlwind year.

Setting concrete program goals every year really helps keep me focused. Naturally other things come up which are great opportunities for my overall career and artistic development, and I have to be flexible. But I really like setting the goals. Now as I evaluate progress, I think the 2011 goals are going to be a bit different.

I have already got my hand in several performing arts projects that demand my attention, and I've also been collecting rejection letters (and a few award letters) that are pointing to some pretty clear areas of need in my artistic development. 2011 is poised to be a VERY exciting year, but I've got to think hard about how to make the most of it.

More to come!

No comments: