Serious Adverse Effects opens at the National Black Theatre in Harlem this week in a limited engagement!
ABOUT THE PLAY
Set in the near future, Serious Adverse Effects follows an unconventional scientist on her quest to cure a mysterious new disease. To succeed she must find forgiveness from a family with no reason to trust her and embrace the transformative potential of her own healing. It features a cast of four and is inspired by the resilience of African-American women in the 21st century.
The National Black Theatre has nurtured the development of this play via an amazing 18-month residency experience, culminating in this workshop production. Mary E. Hodges is on board as director, with a dynamite ensemble bringing the pages to life! We’ve pushed the workshop to include elements of set design, light and sound.
PLAY DETAILS FOR YOUR CALENDAR
The National Black Theatre
the workshop production of
Serious Adverse Effects
By Derek Lee McPhatter
Directed by Mary E. Hodges
Featuring: Patrice Bell, Nadia Brown, Abigail Ramsay, and Christopher Smith
March 28 @ 7:30 PM
March 29 @ 7:30 PM
March 30 @ 7:30 PM
March 31 @ 2 PM and 7:30 PM
April 1 @ 4 PM
2031 Fifth Avenue (National Black Theatre Way) New York, NY 10035
Sunday, March 25, 2018
Monday, January 1, 2018
WOW. I took some time over the New Year's Break to look back at the last 365. And it was nonstop. No wonder I'm feeling a little worn out.
Here was a lot of the good news on the writer/producer front:
- Anti-Inauguration Emergency Cabaret with Cynthia Bond, Hi Concept Labs
- Tutterow Fellow Showcase, Program Kick Off with Chicago Dramatists
- Inauguration Blues at Chicago Dramatists
- Otherwise Oblivion Published in special Afro-futurism volume of OBSIDIAN: Literature and Arts in the African Diaspora.
- Kick off Bring the Beat Back Campaign with my team!
- THAWALLS Event Volunteer Marketing Chair - with LINKS Hall and Threewalls
- Joined The Dramatists Guild
- Bring the Beat Back @ JACK and The Drama League
- Lyric Opera Chicago Voices Preparation
- New Play Commission Pitch Session with Chicago Dramatists for Tutterow Fellowship
- The Lyric Opera of Chicago - Chicago Voices New Work Development Begins
- First Table Read for Serious Adverse Effects at NBT
- Post Production Complete for Stephanie Jeter’s Searching for Isabelle Short Film
- Creative Development Begins for Hair Story: A Pilot for Serial Dreamer, with OPEN TV-Beta
- Chicago Voices Community Created Performance Presentation at the Harris Theater
- Literate Ape Identity Flip Performative Essay
|Check out our BOW at The Harris Theater|
- First Cold Read of New Play in Chicago Dramatists Tutterow Program
- Stephanie Jeter’s Searching For Isabelle – First Public Screening at Black Cinema House (Producer)
- November 11 Citizen Jane in Paragon Play Festival
- Bring the Beat Back @ Hi-ARTS
|The cast and creative team for Bring the Beat Back at Hi-ARTS!|
- Private 29 Hour Workshop for Serious Adverse Effects
- Principal Photography Completed for Hair Story: A Pilot for Serial Dreamer with the team at OPEN-TV Beta.
|Here's Saya Naomi and Erik Lamar Wallace in HAIR STORY...|